General Knowledgebase Articles
Unable set up a Gmail account in an Act4 Product
If you are unable to use a Gmail account in the Email settings section of any Act4 Products, then you will likely need to disable the enhanced security features on your account.
To do this, please follow the steps below, or refer to the article provided by Google which can be found here: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en
- Visit the following link: http://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps
- Log in to your Gmail account if prompted.
- Click on the Turn on option.
Last update: 2018-11-14 23:02
The Act4 product is not working as intended
If your Act4 product is not working as intended, or you see missing DLL errors, please ensure that your antivirus software is not interfering with the installation or use of the software. Due to the differences between all antivirus softwares, exact steps on adding your Act4 product to the antivirus software cannot be provided. Please contact your IT Administrator, or antivirus vendor for detailed instructions on how to disable the antivirus, or add exceptions.
Identifying If Antivirus Is Blocking Act4 Proucts
The easiest way to identify if you antivirus is causing issues is to simply disable the antivirus temporarily. Once disabled, reinstall the application and verify if the application is now working as intended. If the application is working correctly, re-enable the antivirus, and add the installation directory to the antivirus exceptions.
Adding Installation Folders To Exceptions
Most Act4 products run as Act! plugins and therefore, have certain components installed in the Act plugins directory. By default, this folder should be one of the folders listed below based on if you machine is 32-bit or 64-bit:
32-bit Folder: C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\Plugins
64-bitFolder: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\Plugins
Ensure the plugins folder is added to your antivirus exceptions.
In addition to the Act! plugins folder, certain Act4 products are installed in different locations. These folders will also need to be whitelisted. These folders are listed below:
If your product was not installed in the default location, please pick the correct folder where the application resides.
Last update: 2018-11-14 23:01
How do I find my Act! database PAD file?
To find your database PAD file, please follow the steps below:
- Log in to your Act! database.
- Click on the menu Help > About Act
- Click the button Database Information
- The PAD file location is displayed near the top of the window. You can now copy and paste this location in the other software that requires this PAD file.
Last update: 2018-11-14 23:03
How do i add a field to the Contact layout?
The Act Contact layout can be modified by users with roles of "Manager" or "Administrator". To add a field to the Contact layout, follow the steps below:
- Click the menu Tools > Design Layouts > Contact. This will open up the layout editor and your current layout will be made available for editing.
- When the layout editor loads, click the Field button from the toolbox on the left side of your screen.
- Next, click on an area of your layout where you want to place the new field. This will open up a popup window with a list of available fields. In this example, we will click just below the Referred By field.
Note: You may only add a field to the layout once.
- Select the field from the list and press the Add button.
- You may now drag and drop the field or the field label to the position of your liking.
- Once you are happy with the placement, close the Layout Editor window, and press Yes to save your changes.
- Once the layout editor is saved and closed, you will see the field on your Contact layout.
Last update: 2018-11-14 23:01
How do I update my Act4work product?
To run the Act4Work updater manually, please follow the steps below. You can either run the updater via the Windows Start menu, or navigate to the updater installation folder and run it directly.
Updating via Start Menu
To update via the Start Menu, click Start > All Programs > Act4Work > Update Act4Work Applications
Updating via File Explorer
Navigate to the following folder and launch "Act4WorkUpdater.exe"
C:\Program Files (x86)\Act4Work\Act4Work Updater
Last update: 2018-11-14 23:02
Unable to update Act4Work product
If you are unable to run the Act4Work updater to update any of our products, it is likely that the website used by the updater is blocked by your firewall. This website can be found at the following URL: http://updates.act4work.com/
If you are unable to access this site, please ensure this URL and all pages belonging to this website are whitelisted by your firewall system. If your firewall is controlled at the router level, please consult your IT department and they should be able to assist you.
Last update: 2018-11-14 23:01
How to re-download all available updates for Act4Work products?
- Launch the Act4Work Updater from either the Start menu or directly through file explorer.
If you wish to know how to launch the updater, please see Article ID 1018
- As soon as the updater is launched, press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard.
- Once the program finishes scanning, it should now display available updates for all installed Act4Work products. If you do not see any available updates, it is likely you did not press and hold the Shift key quick enough. Perofrming the above steps correctly will always display available updates. Please try the above steps again if you do not see any available updates.
Last update: 2019-01-15 20:13
Act.Framework.CumulativeUserCountException error when logging into Act database using an Act4Work product.
If you receive an error similar to the one above which indicates that there is a "Act.Framework.CumulativeUserCountException" occuring when logging in using products such as Knowtifier, or Act4Outlook, it means that your machine does not have the correct amount of Act! licenses for all active users in the database. This error is caused by the Act! SDK which enforces the licensing restrictions and is not a bug in the act4work plugin.
To rectify this error, either disable un-needed users so that you are in compliance, or activate additional Act! licenses on the machine so that the total license count covers all active users in the database.
You can verify the license count in Act by clicking the menu Help > Register Act!.
Once you have the total number of licenses, click the menu Tools > Manager Users and compare the list to make sure you do not have more active users in the database than the number of licenses. If you have more users than the number of licenses, please disable any extra users. You may need assistance from your Act! administrator if you do not have appropriate permissions to access the Manage Users section in Act.
Last update: 2019-01-07 20:28
"Unable to connect to the remote server" error when attempting to activate or update an act4work product
If you receive an unable to connect to the remote server error when attempting to activate or update an act4work product, it is likely that your local or network firewall may be blocking connections to our activation server. In order to verify if you are able to reach the activation server, please open up a web browser, and try to navigate to the URLs below:
If you are not able to reach the above URLs, please work with your IT deparment to add the above URLs to your antivirus or firewall exceptions.
Last update: 2021-05-13 15:22
How to retrieve the Act! Web API URL when using Act! Connect Link
If you are trying to connect to an application that requires an Act! Web API URL but you do not possess an SSL certificate, you may use the Act! Connect Link instead. After installing Act! Connect Link on the machine hosting the database, please follow the steps below to retreive the URL
- Click Start > All Programs > Act! Connect Link > Act! Connect Link to start the application
- Once the Act! Connect Link window is opened, click the Manage link.
- Copy the URL from the Endpoint field which is unique to your machine.
- Once you copy the Endpoint URL, simply append /act.web.api to the end of the URL to create the Act! Web API URL. For Example, https://xxxxx.g2c.cloud-elements.com/act.web.api
- You can now enter this URL into the application settings that needs to connect to the Act! database.
Last update: 2019-06-26 18:16
Setting up auto restart Act! Web API
Since the Act! Web API is a 32 bit application, when the process reaches around 2 gigs of RAM, it needs to be restarted. To configure automatic restarts of this process, please follow the steps below:
- Open Microsoft IIS
- Click Application Pools in the Connections section, and highlight the act.web.api application pool. Once highlighted, click the Advanced Settings link on the right hand side.
- Scroll down to the Private Memory Limit (KB) section, and enter 2000000 as the valie and press OK. The Act! Web API process should now be restarted once the process reaches 2 gigs of RAM usage.
Last update: 2020-01-09 19:50
Installing Software on a Terminal Server
In order to install software on a terminal server which will be shared by multiple users, it is required that the server be put in install mode. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Press the Windows Start button and in the search bar, type cmd
- Right click CMD.exe and click Run As Administrator in order to launch an elevated command prompt.
- In the command prompt, type the following line and press Enter to put the server in install mode:
change user /install
- Run the installer for the software as normal while the server is in install mode.
- Once installation is completed, put serer back in execute mode by typing the following line and pressing Enter:
change user /execute
Last update: 2020-01-28 16:22
How to uninstall Act4Work program when the uninstaller is not working
If you are having issues uninstalling any Act4Work program, it is possible your registry is corrupted. Please download and run the following program provided by Microsoft and select the program you wish to uninstall from the list.
Last update: 2020-04-15 17:33
"Cannot read that as a ZipFile" error with the Act4Work Updater
If you receive the above error when running the Act4Work updater or downloading any updates, it is likely your Antivirus/Firewall program has blocked the updater. To fix this error, please whitelist the Act4Work updater folder in your Antivirus/Firewall. The location of this folder is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Act4Work\Act4Work Updater
You can also temporarily disable the security software and run the updater again to see if that allows the updater to run without error.
Last update: 2020-06-03 17:15
How do I set up Act4Wealth?
After installing Act4Wealth, Launch Act!. You will see the following screen:
- Enter the Activation Key
- Click Activate
- Click Close
- Click on Act4Wealth on the Act Menu Bar and select Act4Wealth Setup
- Act4Wealth Setup – Click Next